5 October 1863
On this date in 1863…
The C.S.S. David, a Confederate torpedo boat exploded a spar torpedo, damaging the U.S.S. New Ironsides in Charleston Harbor, South Carolina.
- 1862 – A Federal fleet occupied Galveston, Texas.
- 1864 – The Battle of Allatoona Pass, Georgia.
- 1947 – U.S. President Harry S Truman of Missouri held the first televised presidential address from the White House.
- 1969 – A Cuban defector landed a Soviet-made MiG-17 at Homestead Air Force Base in Florida after the plane entered U.S. air space and landed without being detected.
- 1988 – In a debate between candidates for vice president of Texas Democrat Lloyd Bentsen told Republican Dan Quayle, “You’re no Jack Kennedy.”
- 2006 – Walmart rolled out its $4 generic drug program to the entire state of Florida after a successful test in the Tampa area.
© 2022 Grey Hand Media
All Rights Reserved