9 June 1958
On this date in 1958…
Jerry Lee Lewis published a full-page ad in Billboard magazine to help stifle the controversy that has harmed his music career. He wrote, “I confess that my life has been stormy, I hope that if I am washed up as an entertainer, it won’t be because of this bad publicity.”
- 1732 – The English crown granted a royal charter for Georgia colony to James Oglethorpe.
- 1742 – At the Battle of Bloody Marsh, Spanish troops tried to drive English colonists from St. Simons Island, Georgia.
- 1838 – Chickasaw Chief Ishtahotapa and 129 followers left Pontotoc, Mississippi for Indian Territory. However, many Chickasaw remain behind due to smallpox outbreaks in the assigned lands. Ishtahotapa’s wife would die before reaching their destination.
- 1973 – Virginia-foaled, Kentucky thoroughbred Secretariat became the first horse in 25 years to win racing’s Triple Crown.
- 1989 – Congress issued it’s final report on the space shuttle Challenger disaster.
© 2022 KnowSouthernHistory.Org
All Rights Reserved