7 May 1915
On this date in 1915…
A German submarine sunk the British ocean liner Lusitania just committing one of the acts that eventually drew America into WWI.
- 1851 – The Cherokee Nation opened a seminary (high school) for women, north of Park Hill on the Cherokee Reservation in Indian Territory.
- 1861 – Virginia was formally admitted into the Confederate States of America.
- 1865 – Governor Brown surrendered the Georgia State Line Troops and the Georgia Militia to federal General James H. Wilson
- 1865 – Confederate Major Henry Wirz was arrested at Andersonville, Georgia on order of federal General James H. Wilson.
- 1912 – The first airplane equipped with a machine gun flew over College Park, Maryland.
- 1945 – Baseball owner Branch Rickey announced the organization of the United States Negro Baseball League with six teams.
- 1958 – Fighter ace and test pilot Howard “Scrappy” Johnson of Knoxville, Tennessee broke the world’s altitude record by over 14,000 feet, soaring at 91,249 feet in his F–104A Starfighter.
- 1998 – Leeza Gibbons of Hartsville, South Carolina received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
© 2022 KnowSouthernHistory.Org
All Rights Reserved