27 October 1702
On this date in 1702…
- 1787 – The first of the Federalist Papers supporting ratification of the U.S. Constitution was published.
- 1810 – U.S. President James Madison signed the law that annexed the Republic of West Florida as U.S. Territory.
- 1838 – Missouri governor Lilburn Boggs issued the Extermination Order, which orders all Mormons to leave the state or be exterminated.
- 1864 – Federal troops attacked the South Side Railroad at Petersburg, Virginia.
- 1962 – The Soviet Union adds to the Cuban Missile Crisis by calling for the dismantling of U.S. missile basis in Turkey.
- 1981 – Andrew Young, former UN Ambassador, was elected mayor of Atlanta, Georgia.
- 2002 – Floridan Emmitt Smith, playing for the Dallas Cowboys, became the all-time leading rusher in the NFL when he extended his career yardage to 16,743 also scoring his 150th career touchdown.
Read: Why Know Southern History?
© 2022 Grey Hand Media
All Rights Reserved