21 November 1836
On this date in 1836…
Seminole warriors defeated American troops on the Withlacoochee River in the Battle of Wahoo Swamp, killing Creek army officer David Moniac, the first American Indian West Point graduate.
- 1654 – Richard Johnson, a free black, received a grant of 550 acres in Virginia.
- 1789 – North Carolina ratified the U.S. Constitution and became the 12th U.S. state.
- 1860 – American soldier and gunman Tom Horn was born in Scotland County, Missouri.
- 1864 – Confederate General John B. Hood led 30,000 infantry and 8,000 cavalry from Florence, Alabama into Tennessee.
- 1963 – U.S. President John F. Kennedy flew to Texas and his date with destiny.
Read: Why Know Southern History?
© 2022 Grey Hand Media
All Rights Reserved