24 October 1911
On this date in 1911…
Orville Wright of the Wright Brothers remained in the air 9 minutes and 45 seconds in a glider at Kill Devil Hills, North Carolina setting a new world record that stood for 10 years.
- 1861 – West Virginia seceded from Virginia.
- 1929 – U.S. investors dumped more than 13 million shares on the stock market in what became known as “Black Tuesday.”
- 1940 – The 40-hour workweek went into effect due to the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938.
- 1962 – Because of the Cuban Missile Crisis, U.S. military forces went on the highest alert in the postwar era in preparation for a possible full-scale war with the Soviet Union.
- 1971 – Texas Stadium officially opened. The Dallas Cowboys beat the New England Patriots 44-21 in the opening game.
- 2001 – In response to the 9-11 atacks, the U.S. House of Representatives approved legislation that gave police the power to secretly search homes, tap all of a person’s telephone conversation and track people’s use of the Internet.
© 2022 Grey Hand Media
All Rights Reserved