9 May 1944
On this date in 1944…
Country singer Jimmie Davis, known for the song “You Are My Sunshine,” was elected governor of Louisiana.
- 1837 – The steamboat “Sherrod” burned in the Mississippi River below Natchez, Mississippi killing 175 people.
- 1864 – The ten-day series of battles around Spotsylvania Courthouse, Virginia began.
- 1864 – The Battle of Rocky Face Ridge, Georgia began.
- 1864 – Fighting at Snake Creek Gap near Resaca, Georgia.
- 1926 – Richard Byrd of Winchester, Virginia and Floyd Bennett became the first men to fly an airplane over the North Pole.
- 1996 – In video testimony to a Little Rock, Arkansas court, U.S. President Bill Clinton insisted that he had nothing to do with a $300,000 loan to his former Whitewater partners.
© 2022 KnowSouthernHistory.Org
All Rights Reserved